Sunday, October 5, 2014

Barb's Book Review... The River is Dark

First off, I'd like to thank NetGalley for supplying me with an ARC for "The River Is Dark". Secondly, I wish I could give it 10 stars. 

Riveting! I was blown away, in a very good way. This book caught my attention just by it's cover as I flipped through the NetGalley books. Then I read the author's bio and the small bit about this book on Goodreads. I was stoked to get this one and it did not disappoint in any way, shape or form. This novel has it all. I laughed, I cried (a couple of times) and I screamed at the characters to run..... yeah a lot. (laughs) 

I love a good thriller. A good mystery and a good, well written book of any kind. The author really set his pace in this one. As soon as I thought I knew who the killer was something else happened. I usually can figure these things out but not this time. Would I read it again? Hell yes! 

You know how we all dread the phone ringing to give you bad news? Well, Liam, an ex-homicide detective, gets that kind of call one morning. His estranged brother and sister-in-law had been killed during a home invasion. Murdered. This gets him packed and on his way to Tallston, Minnesota where his brother, Allen, and sister-in-law, Suzie lived.When he gets to town the weight of what has happened starts to get to him. After a bum, they call him Nut, tells Liam of another family being murdered in the same fashion as his brother he starts nosing around. The cop in him comes out. You know the saying, "Once a cop, always a cop" comes into play. 

Then, Dani shows up. The girl he danced with at his brother's wedding. Suzie's cousin. The one he waited on for years. Between the two of them they get reaquainted, so to speak. This has hit them both badly. Liam and his brother never got along but this was death. You couldn't come back from that.

The case seems to be slowly moving and that doesn't work for anyone. The sheriff makes it so Liam is able to get his hands on the case files of the murders and keys to his brother's house so he can look into it. Liam slowly, with the help of Dani, starts piecing things together. Being on the outside he has a more expansive vision of what they are looking at. Does it hit home for him, yes. Does that cloud his vision or his thoughts. I don't think so. Out of the police force there he does more in a day than they seem to accomplish in a week. Once the major players in the puzzle of 'what happens next' are starting to show himself Liam ups the game. 

Things progress from there in a whirlwind of fury. More murders, attempted murders, kidnapping and so much more. Small towns hold lots of secrets. We all know that. Some will hurt you, some will make you ashamed and some will get you murdered in an act of revenge. There are so many EPIC moments in this novel. I couldn't possibly list them all. And even this review is different from most of the ones I do because.. I just can't tell you what happens. I won't ruin it for you.

This is a MUST read! And it will be one I pimp out as much as possible. I will tell the world.. or at least everyone in my world. I can honestly say if you love Stephen King, as I do, you will frigging love Joe Hart. And just for the record I never compare anyone to the King. Until now. This will be an author I keep an eye on. He's just that good.



No comments:

Post a Comment