Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Halloween Post... Haunted Cemeteries...


Halloween is such a simple term, to most. It means, costumes, parties and candy. But to a few it means more. The day the “ghosts and goblins” come out to play. But alas, they are here every day. I can’t lie, this has to be my favorite holiday; simply for the fact that people who don’t really “believe” in freaky shit shine a light on it on Halloween. I just wished it got all the Glory it really should….


This night has been around since the dark ages. Of course back then it was referred to as “All Hallows Eve.” So, I’m going to take you on a journey. A journey through a few of my favorite haunted places. Some I have been to  and some I wish to see.


I never realized until a I moved back to South Carolina, just how “haunted” this place is. Houses, railroad crossings, restaurants, cemeteries, you name it, we have it. Its such a little place, well not tiny little but small, its not like the big cities and such of the larger states. But what we do have is some freaky shit that happened and still happens around these parts.

I took one of the “Ghost Tours” a few years ago in Charleston, SC with one of my best friends and her husband. They were here from Texas and wanted to do the whole sightseeing thing. Along with me Tasha had an adventurous side when it came to “unknown” things. Besides  Charleston is a beautiful place so we made a day of it. A very loooooong day. Let me just say, it honestly was one of the most exciting and freakiest things ever and I go to share it with one of my favorite people.

Now as for a “Ghost Town”, there are many as you all know but did you know, Charleston is built over a cemetery? Most of the town is resting over peoples final resting places. Hurricanes, wars, a growing city… it all made it impossible to keep up with the actual burial spots of so many lost souls. Headstones were  moved to new homes when churches and places had “designated burial sites” but most are just holding up empty dirt. So…. technically the “Cemetery”... is EVERYWHERE!!!

The next time you are walking down a street and hear a strange noise... watch it.. it could be a spirit… or a stray cat. Really the unknown part of this is what excites you!

Now, to share some more facts.. (evil grin) Some of the most haunted cemeteries in the world are located in the United States... maybe close to you... there are 10 to be exact.  3… yes, I said 3 of them are in Illinois.. O.o Freaky I know.. but makes me wanna go visit, because again, I’m freaky like that. And I have this untold obsession with cemeteries and old tombstones. (snorts) They are cool, don't judge.

So I picked my favorites from the “Top 10 Haunted Places in America” list, of  actual places, I will be adding to my “Fucked up places to visit bucket list”....Yes, I really do have one of those. (straightens my Halo)


St. Louis Cemetery No. 1  in New Orleans, Louisiana is the #1 most haunted cemetery.

13397222-standard.jpg


images9IHGC3NV.jpgI can say I have been there once...well to one of the three of them. I think it was #1 but can’t  swear to that (It could have been #2. They are within a couple of blocks of each other). It was during the day and I wasn’t there long. I only got to stand outside the gate and peak in. Though, it did make my skin crawl and I think that was just the prospect of being there. Ya know. My brain was like “go inside stupid” but I couldn’t. It is a very creepy looking place but from what I have read and heard.. I’d like to actually go. I like cemeteries.. It is just a thing with me.


St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 is the oldest and most famous. It was opened in 1789, replacing the city's older St. Peter Cemetery (no longer in existence) as the main burial ground when the city was redesigned after a fire in 1788. The cemetery spans one square block of property. Its made of a grand European mixture of ornate marble tombs, crumbling memorials and narrow, winding footpaths. Some visitors have heard weeping and groaning from inside the crypts, while many have seen a range of spectral phenomena, ranging from unusual mists to fully fledged transparent figures.

Oh and its the resting place for the Voodoo Priestess Marie Laveau.


Stull Cemetery in Kansas is ranked #2

imagesO45710QW.jpguntitled3.png
It's infamous nicknames are The Seven Lost Gates of Hell, The Cemetery of The Damned, Satan's Burial Ground and most notably “The Seventh Gate to Hell”. Stull cemetery is often said to be where Satan the Devil himself holds court with his lost worshippers. The devil's only half human haunted child is reported to be buried here in Haunted Kansas.

They say he appears as a 9 -11 year old boy, he was believed to be able to turn himself into a dog, a cat or a wolf. Basically a werewolf or just plain shape shifter. Many stories say he was born covered with long red hair and a full set of two rows of double teeth. Talk about a freaky fact. I can only imagine that sighting…

Random Girl: Oh, look at this headstone...
Big red wolf:  {growls and snarls}
Random Girl: OhMyGawd, LOOK its Jacob!

Oaky, no more Twilight jokes... maybe…  (dies laughing)

But on a serious note as I know I am already hellbound, that would be a freak fuck up of a sight to see… and worth the fact that you would need to change ya drawers….


Western Burial Ground, Westminster Presbyterian Churchyard, Baltimore Maryland  is ranked #3

imagesVN1ND1TE.jpg untitled2.png

untitled.pngIt is called the Old Western Burial Ground and it holds the remains of people like Edgar Allan Poe, the son of Francis Scott Key, the grandfather of President James Buchanan, five former mayors of Baltimore and fifteen generals from the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. The catacombs of this cemetery are located beneath Haunted Westminster Hall, and have long been the subject of ghostly tales.

Many tell the tale of people buried alive and their ghost trying to show others of their plight. Don't forget the unexplained mystery of Poe himself. Many say they have seen him felt him and talked to him. Dressed completely in black, including a black fedora and a black scarf to hide his face, he carries a silver cats head walking stick and strolls into the cemetery every year on or around January 19, the birth date of Edgar Allan Poe.

Legend has it that the ghost of Edgar Allan Poe has been seen near his grave and in the catacombs of the church. The author died mysteriously in Baltimore and thus came to be buried there.


Resurrection Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois is ranked #5

images3A8CNH25.jpg


The ghost of the girl who has come to be known as "Resurrection Mary" or Bloody Mary Smith is one of the most famous ghost stories and urban legends of Haunted Chicagoland. She is believed to have been killed along Archer Avenue (near the cemetery) after leaving a funeral wake of her lover, Mother brother, or father, no ones quite sure, one cold rainy night. She was buried with no funeral mass or last words in Resurrection Cemetery.

Bloody Mary tours the highway always hitchhiking, dressed in black and has spent the last 90 years traveling the Haunted Chicago roadways and asking haunted truck drivers and lone people to drop her off at the cemetery gates. Only to disappear before their eyes.

images.jpgMakes you want to stand in front a mirror and call out BLOODY MARY… maybe not. (laughs)

Another ghost just as well known is running Andrew Holcomb, he appears as a boy around the ages of 12- 17 years of age. He is said to run in front of passing cars and is struck. With a loud thud and impact is felt against the car or truck. People tell of the horrid sound and the blood on the windshield. When the hapless driver gets out to investigate he is not there, the boy is no where to be found. But the sight the sound of his body hitting the traveling drivers will haunts the driver their entire life. As they look around the road the only visible thing they see is the haunted cemetery gates.

Now.... that is the end of this death ride but you can find more information on these and any others you’d like.. just Google haunted cemeteries.. and don't turn out the light.

(This post was originally posted on the Darkest Temptations blog 10/31/11by me, but has been re-vamped)

Blog gif 1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment