Monday, October 20, 2014

"Must Watch" movies for Halloween...or any time.

Barb is the Horror Queen.  I don’t do scary movies - at least not at the level that she does. I will freely admit that I’m a wimp when it comes to scary movies.  The few I’ve seen, and seen more than once, have become favorites of mine. I’ve found that the mentally scary scares me a lot more that blood and guts scary any day of the week.  I hid behind the couch during Poltergeist, and again with the Seventh Sign.  The Ring, which was probably the last “Scary” movie I (somewhat unwillingly, damn you peer pressure) watched, and it had me leaping behind the couch as well.  Nah, I don’t do scary movies at all.  I have noticed a correlating theme in most of what society presents as what’s supposed to be “scary”.  

Here are my thoughts, for the funhouse coin that they are actually worth:
Ghosts reflect our fear of death
Zombies reflect our fear of each other
Aliens reflect our fear of the unknown
Vampires and Werewolves reflect our fear of sex, or possibly our fear of losing control
As always there are going to be some of us that say, “Well hell, I just don’t find that scary at all”. Well…..Good for you!

Emmy’s list:


https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/JmOjGdaxdZSChwGTpbBur6DBSqRuW_HVGAY1OYM3X-0P09-mxqCivcbfRjq9BRmhnj2681stCv4x--FRtdc8JC1ovo__jlehJ4ZNCG3DGKNAxuOClv9TR5oPDb_D9Osf_Q
(Aliens, kinda)
The classic, the original, the must watch every single Halloween, just like you have to watch Mickey’s Christmas Carol every Christmas.  I first saw it a few years ago after many years of hearing about it, and I loved every single friggin second of it.   Who knew Tim Curry could pull off women’s clothes THAT well?   

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/c1NlFkiBz1q4_1tzCrMIg1mbwBb3kXxgr8lSswlwUBdvrr3WhWvZ5Jj4JL0fg8t0b86m7RqsukxalaPr1p0qNr1LezKLmZmmPAkoADSwCEuYzJzX-_8LNKl9wTwYE-MXig
(Zombies in General)
Cardio, The Double Tap, Shoot First, Beware of Bathrooms and Always find the back door:  All good rules to have, more so in a Zombie Apocalypse.  Zombies have become super popular in the last 15-20 years, and quality zombie movies have gotten better and better with time.  Reference the Walking Dead, because my nephew Collin would KILL me if I didn’t mention it.  World War Z, which was very good, even though I’ve heard the book, was better.  The classic, Night of the Living Dead, is terrifying in that cut away, you hear the scary but don’t see it way.  Zombies have long been a metaphor for decay in society, morality and the people’s mistrust of both the government and each other.  Is it really any surprise that lately the zombie genre has exploded?  

Parnormal activity.jpg
(Ghosts and other things that go bump in the night)
I know, I’ve said I don’t like scary movies.  But I love a good ghost story.  I never said it made sense!  I’ve been known to watch shows like Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures (Zak is a damn fool, and I love to watch him cuss out a ghost, demon, whatever.  He doesn’t care, he’ll just walk right in there and tell it all about itself; it’s hilarious) and the Dead Files.    Now, the reason I really enjoyed Paranormal Activity was that it was done in the shaky hand cam omg - this - is - real!!  It’s styled like the Blair Witch Project was done.  Also, the creep factor, because as in the old classic movies, the big scary thing is mostly unseen.  This makes it all the more terrifying.  

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EUWoKdaNH_HtEpzGV4iyHj6EG3osOqYm7ERj_GNKLTXcvjXACYRKWNNBl6h_AObUkEsCeYN6CFHbOx5y5iVgNIlKaNohwd8UdHvZxCWiVvmr7faMgzJoOOAVYWkgnCEilQ
(Mystery; Ghosts)
Kick ass ghost story--and probably the only one that I’ve seen that made Barb say “What?  YOU watched this?”  

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/BPXsuaI7KIZwuDjWl2jCFOq2aomj22K1EeO5aK1stwMUhc9cKjDiYH_F6Yo917HMGHGtx85XydVPKAd3_gkN7j01gFKr_grrMKgTvH4pcwC0VSYusce95Xjyasw7bomrpw
(Vampires… duh)
You didn’t think I was going to do a list like this and not include vampires in some form did you?  No, this movie is NOT scary.  At all.  Well, Tom Cruise’s hair was scary.  Somewhere, (in Anne Rice’s head) the actual Lestat had an absolute shit fit over that.  I just don’t find vampires scary at all anyway, but for a more say, hardcore, take on vampires I would recommend 30 days of night.  It was a very good story.  Our culture has become really attracted to vampires over the last few decades.  I read a interview that Bela Lugosi (the original Dracula) once gave in which he offered the explanation that women are most attracted to vampires due to the fact that they can’t get pregnant from them.  It’s my humble opinion that most women are so familiar already with blood and pain that it’s just not a big deal for most of us anymore.  

And one more, just for the fun of it:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/LOoy55wbjo64OjF1MUd_iCMSvCtC68_KlMBvl1UOQu3CI3o3EUzEyL4gDR5xQfgewehhQ1fnp-ksYZglM26dkz9VLt1sZNy7xRTYCCMnpZoZazXuWVUb6zE6tqNt35-9ww
(Aliens and other bugaboos)
In my humble and definitely non professional opinion, this was M. Night Shyamalan's best work.  This is a straight up thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat and feeling uneasy about being there.  It made me jump more than once.  Also, Fire in the Sky gets an honorable mention here too.  

Barb’s list:
Alright, this is what I’m talkin’ about. I LOVE horror/scary movies. And yes, if it’s freaky, bloody, full of gore, slashing and any combination of anything associated with “horror” I’m all over it. Like totes into it. Diving head first! (laughs). Though, I am very opinionated about what “horror” is and isn’t. In this day and age the world of movies and television… some of what they call horror is…. crap. Not everything they call “horror” is horror. Like, most of it makes me go, “Really? You call that Horror? (shifty) I’m not that twisted… or am I?
The trick to a good “Horror” movie doesn’t have to mean it is full of blood and guts... though... yes that works for me as well. It’s all mental. Fear is a powerful thing.
*** Fear is an emotion induced by a threat perceived by living entities, which causes a change in brain and organ function and ultimately a change in behavior, such as running away, hiding or freezing from traumatic events. Fear may occur in response to a specific stimulus happening in the present, or to a future situation, which is perceived as risk to health or life, status, power, security, or in the case of human’s wealth or anything held valuable. The fear response arises from the perception of danger leading to confrontation with or escape from/avoiding the threat (also known as the fight-or-flight response), which in extreme cases of fear (horror and terror) can be a freeze response or paralysis. *** (via wikipedia.org)
Can you have a movie that really scares you? Yes. Depending on your mind and ability to process what is going on in front of you. If you start to sweat, curl your legs up, your heart speeds up and you want to hide your eyes.. Then you have a WINNER!
But, on a serious note you have to adapt to what you are watching.  That goes with anything, not just horror. If you can’t handle it, that’s okay. It’s a preferred taste if you want to call it that. I grew up watching horror and scary movies. That being said, it’s one of the things I can thank my daddy for. Even if he tries to deny it now, it’s his fault. He is not bothered by scary shit. My mom on the other hand… (Laughs hard) I love to scare the mess out of her. She will leave the room if daddy and I turn on a scary movie. ‘Cause… like Emmy said I am the Horror Queen (her words). I watch some that make my skin crawl. And then I have some that make me want to punch whoever thought this was scary and tape them to an ant hill.
(Demonic Possession)


Now, the first horror movie I ever watched was the Exorcist. What’s a little Demon possession to a small child? Terrifying… I was five or six. I’m not sure which but I was good until Regan (played by Linda Blair) had a fit of epic proportions and her head started spinning around. Yes ladies and gents that scared the piss out of me. I screamed and climbed into my mom’s lap. (Laughs) This is the ONLY movie my mom will watch. Lady is wacko. This one still gives me the willies. I cannot watch it in the dark. Pathetic but it’s just one of those that scared me as a kid. I love this one but… yeah lights on!!
This movie surpassed the ‘mind fuck’ field and went straight into ‘let’s see if we can give you a heart attack’ mode.  There are 3 adaptions of this move that are fairly popular. Yes, I have them all. Nothing is as good as the first but the second movie has Linda Blair, again playing Regan. The other two are not memorable to me. I couldn’t tell you who was in them or what happened. You know the drill. Buy it, watch it and forget it. But the original will never be forgotten.
I have a screensaver or a background, whatever you want to call it that I may put on my mom’s laptop.. I’d do it to Emmy’s computer at work but I don’t want to die. Or for her to kill over! (Plus, she has seen this and the look I got said it all. "you do it and you die..." lol)
See… it’s not that bad… (cackles) – The things you can find on google…
Side note: This movie was based off of the book by William Peter Blatty published June 1, 1971 by harper & Row in NY. (I have a copy if the book and to be honest… I can’t bring myself to read it. (laughs) If the movie was as closely based off the book as I have heard.. I will hold off… forever.)

(Demonic Possession)


Well, first off I have to say this was not the first one of this movie I saw. (gasps) I know it should be a crime. But once I gathered that I was missing something I hurried to get it. I was shocked. Again, it’s one of those that make you blink a few times and go, “what the hell?” A movie that is set in the 70’s, most of the time wouldn’t make many people pay attention. But this one did. It’s got a few heart pumping moments. The thrill of “is he going to kill them” and then you start yelling at the TV. (Well I do.)
Side Note: This film is based off the book The Amityville Horror: A true Story by Jay Anson, published August 1, 1977 by Prentice-Hall. (I have a newer copy of the book but I have not read it as of yet.)
The next two movies have three things in common. What is that you ask? Well, besides the fact that they all deal with hauntings; they are all adaptations of events that are documented by paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren. These are two people that I wish I could have met face to face. Yeah, who wants to meet movie stars and shit when these two people have more paranormal stories than the law should allow for? Okay, so maybe it’s only me. (It is also said that the Amityville stories were based off the works of Ed and Lorraine but I’m not sure…)
So, here we go…
(Demonic Possession)


FREAKY! But what in the hell did you expect to find in a MORTUARY? Flowers… candies waiting on you. Dude, really. People’s souls are stuck in the places between our realities and heaven or hell. Or whatever it is you believe in. I believe in ghosts and hauntings so this one made me giddy. (snorts) I’m sadistic, so sue me. Though, I can say this funeral homes freak me the hell out. Every time I walk into one it’s as I’ve walked into a freezer. I get a weird feeling, and yes it possibly is all in my head... who knows. I have no issues going into Cemeteries… day or night. Ask Emmy. I have been to every Cemetery in a 50 mile radius of my home finding family members and working on genealogy stuff. Sometimes into the late night hours; never been scared.
Put me in a funeral home and I freak out. It’s entertaining to some I assure you. But could you live in a mortuary or a funeral home. Knowing what you know of death, what happens in them? I know I couldn’t. I’d not even try it. And I like freaky shit.


*** True Story Claims: Promotional material for the film claimed that it was "based on true events" experienced by the Snedeker family of Southington, Connecticut in 1986. Ed and Lorraine Warren claimed that the Snedeker house was a former funeral home where morticians committed necromancy and/or necrophilia with the corpses and that there were "powerful" supernatural "forces at work" that were cured by an exorcism.
However, according to skeptical investigator Benjamin Radford, there is "little or no proof that anything supernatural occurred at the house". Radford wrote that author Ray Garton was employed by the Warrens to write the supposedly "true story" and was instructed by Ed Warren, "You've got some of the story — just use what works and make the rest up… Just make it up and make it scary.”
Carmen Snedeker's accounts were covered in episodes of the television series A Haunting and Paranormal Witness. *** (via wikipedia.org)


Not sure what I believe on this one. I mean, shit happens like this all the time; I don't see them making this up but I do know some people have a wild hair to exaggerate and take things from the truth to fiction in a minute. Only the family and the Warrens know for sure.


Side note: This film was based off the book In A Dark Place: The Story of a True Haunting by Ray Garton on October 27, 1992 by Villard publishing. (Unfortunately, I do not have this book. After the speculations of the story being a ‘hoax’ they flew off the shelves. You can buy one... if you can find it but I’m cheap. No book, other than a Stephen King book is worth $100 bucks. Not going to happen no matter how bad I want to read it.)
(Dark Spirits; Demonic spirits)
Apparently, I have a thing for Demons.. (snorts) This one caught my eye when it first came out and let me tell you I was NOT disappointed in any way. I’m not one to be scared easily. If you jump out in front of me well yeah, I scream like a girl but for a movie to give me the willies takes a lot. I figure its a good sign if I have to turn my lights on. It shows me that yeah its getting to me.. well this one made me turn my lights on. I live in a basement apartment, I have no windows and a lot of shadows… so… yeah. The story itself was enough to make me go O.o and hit the internet. I had the movie now I wanted to know more about this story. Seems this movie was on the building block for a long time. they say all good things come to those that wait. This was worth the wait!!
This story is based off of a Real Life account of a family in the North Eastern part of the US that was investigated by Ed and Lorraine Warren. This does not make me want to go anywhere up that direction… ever. I will stick to the ghosts of the South.(laughs)
I even got my daddy to watch it. My mom chickened out the first time a door opened on its own.. bwahaha. And yes, I called her a chicken then proceeded to scream like a dork when my dog jumped up in my lap. I think she planned that well… (shrugs) It made my dad crack up and my dog look at me like I was loco but it was still a great movie night.


halloween-ii-horror-movie-poster.jpg
(Demons; Possession)
Well I am so not upset that I have yet another demon movie on this here list. (shifty) This one is not your ordinary run of the mill ‘scary’ movie. It actually gave me the creeps form the start. My bestie Jess and I were having a movie marathon one weekend and I was like.. hmm this looks good. So I bought it and we went straight home to watch it. Gah. I had to turn the lights on. And, poor Jess, who is not a real horror fan was hiding under a blanket, peaking out every so often. That in itself was entertaining to me. Though, I have watched it many times and to this day it still makes my skin crawl. There is something about seeing things in a mirror that makes it that much freakier. Or to me anyway.
The main character starts to see things in the mirrors of a run down, burned out department store where he takes on a security job. Ex-cop, nutty at best, divorced, down on his luck so of course when he figures out the mirrors are talking to him… (laughs) everyone thinks he is bastshit crazy. Again, Its a must see just keep the lights on.
Side Note: This was a remake of a Korean horror film called, Into the Mirror.With a script chang. The plot and whole mirror history is the same.


Alright, those are my top picks but I have a list that I watch every Halloween. I stay up and stuff my face with popcorn, candy and turn the lights off and get lost in the thrills of a few movies I just LOVE and have since I was a kid… this year I will just make a week long marathon of them all… bwahaha


PicMonkey Collage1.jpg
The Halloween Series, the story of Michael Myers. I watch them all with the exception of #3 ‘cause it SUCK MONKEY ASS (my opinion) and really isn’t up to par for more than scraps. It doesn't even go along with the rest of the movies for me.Yeah its supposed to show the MASK and all that but.. meh. I say skip it and I promise ya won't miss a damn thing.
With that said here is what to watch…
Halloween, Halloween II, Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers, Halloween 6, then you get to Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later and Halloween Resurrection. (An yes, there is another one.. maybe two no, I’ve seen them but I’m not impressed so I stick to the classics (as I call them). You know, if it ain’t broke, don't fix it.)


PicMonkey Collage2.jpg
The Nightmare on Elm Street Series is an assortment of O.o o.O and O.O moments that if you toss them all together you get an EPIC series of movies. Are they scary, not really. Sometimes they are creepyish and gory but them that is a part of it being a horror movie. The concept for this movie was based off of real life events that happened in Cambodia. A man refused to sleep because he was gonna die in his dream if he did. Needless to say after he finally passed out his family put him to bed and yes he did die in bed. No one knows why but he just did. Creepy shit like that makes it a bit more real. To a certain extent that is.
There are a couple more movies to accompany this series butthey are ‘after’ the fact types except for the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street. And I was against the remake until I found out Kellan Lutz was in it. (coughs) What can I say… I folded easily. (laughs) To be a remake it was good. Not as good as the original but.. Kellan was in it.. need I say more?


freddy-vs-jason-movie-poster-2003-1020214356.jpg
You also have… FREDDY vs JASON.. (laughs hard) It was way stupid, funny and a bit of.. O.o but it was good enough for me to buy and re-watch a few times.


PicMonkey Collage4.jpg
And, no Halloween night or weekend is complete without a little Jason Vorhees. Makes going to summer camp scare the piss out of ya. Or just being in the woods at night. Even now, I am not comfortable out in the woods in the dark. Camping is creepy most times now. Though I don't think there is a knife, no a machete wielding idiot in the woods..but now a days ya never know. This is another series that has a remake of the original and it was really well done. Helps that it had Jared Padalecki in it.. that maybe the only reason I got it.. (snickers)
And…. there you have it. Now, go get a movie, pop it in and enjoy!! Oh just remember they are just movies.. they won’t bite.. well not too hard.



No comments:

Post a Comment