Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Blog Tour... Joanne Schwehm's The Critic

The Critic BT.jpg
TheCritic_FrontCover_LoRes[1]
Synopsis:
WORDS
Convey a message
Andrea Jordan dreams of acting on Broadway, and she is at the cusp of achieving success. All her sacrifices start to pay off when she lands a role that will catapult her to stardom.
CAN
Express our thoughts
Award-winning theater critic Bentley Chambers possesses the power to make or break a career. Theatergoers consider his reviews to be gospel, and actors cringe at the thought of him in the audience. His words possess power.
HURT
A heart’s not made of stone
More than one actor has been sent packing after Bentley’s bad reviews, and Andrea could be next. She won’t stand by and let him shatter her dreams, but she never thought giving him a piece of her mind would also mean giving him a piece of her heart.
Will Andrea discover on her own the passion Bentley claims she lacks, or will he be the one to draw it out of her?
Words… choose them wisely.
***STAND ALONE NOVEL*** INTENDED FOR MATURE READERS***


Buy Links:
Amazon | B&N

Exclusive Excerpt:
Andi’s POV

Why couldn’t he be the ugly old ogre I had envisioned? I mustered up all the courage I could and prayed my voice didn’t tremble. I realized I was fidgeting with the edge of the white linen tablecloth, so I brought my hands to my lap. “You can tell me why you take pleasure in decimating my career.”
He slid aside what was left of his lunch and leaned his elbows on the table. “Decimate? I don’t find pleasure in decimating your career, nor do I feel that I have. I think you’ve done a fine job of that on your own.” His features remained perfectly chiseled and impassive.
Stoic. Remain stoic. What a rude son of a bitch. I’d have been in tears if I wasn’t so pissed. “Excuse me?”
“Look, Ms. Jordan, I don’t know what you’re doing here, but if you think I’ve ruined your career, then you need to take a look in the mirror.” His tone didn’t fluctuate as he reprimanded me.
I tried to swallow my heart, which was in my throat. “You’re a theater critic, correct?”
“Yes. I thought that had been established.” He sat back in his chair and crossed his arms, making his biceps flex.
“Have you ever taken an acting class, Mr. Chambers?” I’d become more irritated since I sat down. My elbows were firmly planted on the table.
“No, I’m a writer. I haven’t been on stage since high school. That doesn’t mean I can’t see the difference between a good performance and poor one. Is this why you came here, to review my resume? How did you find me anyway?” He lifted his glass to his lips without wavering at all.
“Don’t change the subject. So you’re not an actor, yet you critique my work and say that I lack passion and talent? Who gave you the right to determine who’s good and who’s not?” I felt my shoulders roll forward in defeat, so I straightened my spine.
“Well, quite frankly, my employer does. Andrea—can I call you Andrea, or do you prefer Andi?”
“It’s Ms. Jordan to you. My friends call me Andi.” How does he know my nickname?  
Before I could ask, he smirked, which made me want to reach across the table and slap his smug face. “Fine, Ms. Jordan. I didn’t say you couldn’t act. Well, not entirely. Deep down, you may have the passionate woman needed to play the role, but you aren’t there yet. That doesn’t mean I don’t think you can’t get there. I think you have it in you. Your coming here shows me that you want it. So tell me, when was the last time you were in the throes of passion?”
Was this guy for real? My eyes caught his, and I felt something different, unexplainable. I felt as though he looked through me rather than at me. My insides were in a knot a sailor would have been proud of. “I don’t see how that is any of your business.” I prayed my face wasn’t beet red.
“Ahhh, I think I have my answer. You may have the passion for acting, but can you feel real passion—that’s the question.” He picked up his drink and took a taste. As he set the glass down, he grinned. “I could help you with that.” He winked at me.

head shot
About Joanne Schwehm:
Author of Unexpected Chance, My Chance (The Chance Series), Ryker and The Critic. Joanne was born and raised in Rochester, NY and currently resides near our Nation's Capital with her husband and two sons. Romance is one of Joanne's favorite things and thankfully, she is surrounded by it. Joanne firmly believes when that unexpected chance comes, take it. Don't let it pass you by - you never know what you could be missing.

Enter Joanne’s Giveaway!!


Blogger Button.jpg

raining.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment