Saturday, July 25, 2015

Barb's Review... Spiraled

Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
FBI Special Agent Ava McLane solves crimes; she doesn’t witness them. When she’s trapped in a mall without her weapon as a shooter picks off victims, she hides with a wounded teen and prays for her survival.


But that’s only the beginning…


An epidemic of mass shootings has swept across Oregon. The young shooters terrify the public, committing random murders before taking their own lives. The task force assembled to solve the case—which includes Ava’s boyfriend, detective Mason Callahan—remains stumped. And on top of this chaos, Ava’s troubled twin sister reappears, throwing Ava’s already-tumultuous life into a tailspin.


An old-fashioned cop with a strong sense of duty, Mason struggles to find the cause of the shootings as workaholic Ava spins ever closer to breaking down. But can one detective save the lives of countless innocents—and prevent the woman he loves from going over the edge?


Buy Links:
Amazon  US : AU : CA : UK
Audible US : AU : UK
_______________________________________________________________


spiraled.jpg


First off, thanks to NetGalley and Montlake Romance for providing me with a copy of Spiraled to read in exchange for an honest review. Secondly, It was an amazing book. From the first page I was struck. Had to keep going. One thing after the other. Intense, mesmerizing, and I think it’s the best one yet. I loved the first two books in this series but I really think Kendra hit a home run on this one. It covers details that hit home in today’s society. Real threats weaved into her fiction that made it a page turner.


Ava and Mason, still in recoup mode from the last time Ava was hunted by a madman are moving on with their lives. Ava, still on vacation is trying to keep busy by doing things in and around their new home but she needs to get out as well. Going to Yoga is one of those things that she does to put stress on her body but in a different way. After a class, while walking through the mall with one of the other girls from her class all hell breaks loose in the mall. Shots are fired, people are hit and the only thing Ava can do as she is unarmed is call 9-1-1 and report the shooting.


This shooting gets a lot of people moving quickly. But when the dust clears their suspect is dead and everyone is scratching their heads. Why would this 20 year old kid want to kill innocent people? And why was this not the first one in a span on a few months. Mason, Ava, Ray and Zander join the forces at work on the task force to find out what is happening here. Are they dealing with a cult? Are these kids connected somehow? What could make these kids do this. And it always seems to be the same. Kids ages are a match. Clothes are always the same black athletic gear. Always the same. But what’s different? What are they missing?


This story literally had me bouncing in my seat as they worked out the clues and suspicions they had. Ava though was one smart cookie during this case. As always she and Mason are adynamic team in action. There were times when clues were right there and they were missing the mark. I can’t lie I was yelling at them in a few spots. “Come on Mason get the pieces put together” came from me more than once. But when things started falling into place Ava was once again in the line of fire. Mason was about to stroke out and the bad man thought he had won. But I will let you guess who had the last laugh…


Most of this book was ‘read’ via an audiobook. So me yelling at my phone while I drive was fun for the other people around me. (laughs) There is something about these characters that draw you to them. Make you fall in love with them and I am so glad I am on that category. I love Kendra’s books, and the way she unfolds a story before you. Its a definite winner in my books and so far out of this series I think this was the most heart pounding one of all. Can’t wait to see what is next!


________________________________________________________________


Kendra Elliot
About the Author:
As a kid, I read and read and read. Laura Ingalls, Nancy Drew, and Trixie Belden were my close companions, and I was never without a book in hand. Today, mysteries are my primary reading genre. I enjoy Lee Child, Karen Rose, Robert Crais, and Tami Hoag. But I also love a sweeping historical novel by Diana Gabaldon or a contemporary romance by Rachel Gibson.


I decided to try my hand at writing a novel after I read a newspaper article about NaNoWriMo. Heck, I can do that. I sat down and wrote a contemporary romance but kept tripping over dead bodies in each chapter. I got the hint and my stories evolved into romantic suspense.


I joined my local Romance Writers of America chapter, the Rose City Romance Writers, and found a fabulous community dedicated to educating its members about writing and publishing. Book purchases are tax deductable??I also belong to International Thriller Writers and the Kiss of Death Chapter of RWA.


In 2010, my manuscript, Stronger Than Bone (HIDDEN), was a finalist in RWA’s prestigious Golden Heart® contest. My third book, BURIED, won the Daphne Du Maurier award for romantic suspense and was nominated for the 2014 International Thriller Writers's award for Best Paperback Original and Romantic Times Magazine's best Romantic Suspense of 2013.
I grew up in the lush Pacific Northwest and still live there with my husband, three daughters, two cats, and a Pomeranian. I am fascinated with forensics, refuse to eat anything green, and love a good Mai Tai on the beach on Kauai.



Barb Avi (2).jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment