Friday, July 3, 2015

Blog Tour... Amie Nichols' Suspicion At Sea


Ellie and Justin will soon learn everything can change in the blink of an eye.

Title:  Suspicion at Sea
Author:  Amie Nichols
Genre:  Romantic Suspense
Cover Designer:  Sara Eirew
Release Date:  June 2, 2015

 Add to Goodreads


When FBI Agent Ellie Marks goes on vacation to Bailey Island in Maine, she plans on having a relaxing few weeks to reset her mind. After an extreme undercover mission and being shot, she needs some time to forget everything horrible that has happened in her life.

She doesn't plan, however, on meeting Justin Bennett, an ex Navy Seal. An instant attraction forms like neither have ever experienced, bonding them.

A mysterious disappearance of three of the island's residents begins a chain reaction of secrets that changes everything they thought they knew.

The only thing Justin knows for sure is that he doesn't plan on letting anything get in the way of his and Ellie's happiness.


suspicion at sea - em.jpg
Many thanks to Amie Nichols and Hot Tree Promotions, who provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This story was a fun and fast paced read.  I loved Ellie and Justin’s characters, and the mystery was interesting and well tied together.  Ellie is just arriving on the island for some R and R when we meet her.  Her last mission was a two year long undercover trip through hell playing the lover of the boss of a dangerous gang.  Ellie had her own motivations for taking the job, and let nothing - and I mean nothing - stand in the way of getting the information she was after.  She entrenched herself deeply in the gang, known as the Los Diablos Rojos, or the LDR.  During her time with them she was able to secretly save countless numbers of girls from sex trafficking, but at very nearly the cost of her own soul and sanity.  In the end, it very nearly cost her life when her supposed “boyfriend” used her as a human shield at an FBI raid.  No honor among thieves, I tell you.  She was shot, and prior to our meeting her has spent the last year recovering and mopping up the details of the mission.  She’s understandably burnt out, and at the insistence of her partner books a room at the local bed and breakfast with no other intentions than laying out in the sun, relaxing, and reading a good book.  She’s doing just that when a man running on the beach catches her eye.  He notices her noticing him, and that leads us to Justin.

Justin is a former Navy SEAL, now retired.   (He lives on a houseboat, which is just….frigging awesome.)  He returned to his hometown after he got out, mostly to keep an eye on his little sister Suzy. She is his only family other than his dad, the sheriff, whom he is not close to.    Suzy married a local boy, Jade McGill, whose character takes the term “white trash” to new and infuriating levels. Jade managed to talk Suzy into backing him and his two brothers in starting a fishing business.  Once Jade had his hands on the money, he made quick work of cutting any ownership ties Suzy had on the business.  As you might guess, both the business and their marriage are failing.   Suzy has no legal recourse to recoup her investment, and to add insult to injury Jade has been running around on her as well.  Justin wants nothing more than to throw Jade the beating of his life, but his hands are tied.   All of this is bad enough, but when the brother’s boat is found abandoned and drifting all eyes turn towards Suzy as a likely suspect in the disappearances.  

As I said, Justin notices Ellie noticing him, and engineers it so that they would meet.  I wish I could say that they hit it off right away, but….**laughs** that’s anything but the case.  This guy has the worst luck in the universe when it comes to Ellie.  Everytime he sees her he has got some girl or other either hanging off of him, or coming up to talk to him, which gives Ellie the impression that he’s nothing but a player.  Watching them bounce off each other was hilarious.  Eventually they get on speaking terms, and the romance begins.  Some people might scream insta-love at this book, and yeah, maybe there is a little.  There is insta-lust, for sure, I’ll agree with that.  But what really makes this book is the mystery, the disappearance of the McGill brothers.  

The McGill brothers are nasty pieces of work just taken on their own, but no one suspected just how deeply in the soup they really were.  Ellie uses some of her connections to find out more about them.  She uncovers a snake’s nest of trouble that involves both her past with the LDR and Justin’s last (top secret) SEAL mission.  They find that the corruption goes higher and further back than just a simple local mystery.  I loved the way that Ellie’s past and Justin’s were intertwined, and how much detail was involved.  Some deals were made with certain devils by people with too much to lose, and it was a surprise to find out just how far they went to cover their trail.

I was thrilled to read this book.  It was a great story and I couldn’t put it down.   I found myself admiring Ellie for going above and beyond for her case.  I was terribly fond of Justin, both for his horrible luck and his protective nature.  Once, more, thanks again to the author and Hot Tree.  I would recommend this book for anyone who loves a little shadow with their spice (and the spice is nice, no doubt) - intriguing mystery along with steamy romance.  

My Ellie and Justin: Rosario Dawson and Gerard Butler
    





I've have met some amazing woman on my journey so far, and have learned so much. (Sometimes the hard way.) I've been like a sponge soaking up all the information I can on how the publishing world works. It's been a rollercoaster ride with its ups and its downs.

No matter what, I will never regret anything I've done. You can't succeed if you don't try, and if you don't try you won't succeed. One of my favorite quotes "If the dream is big enough the facts don't matter".

Some other info about me, I love my family, friends, wine and anything caffeinated. I also love writing HEA. For the same reason I won't watch a movie that I know will make me cry, (with the exception of Steel Magnolias) I will never write a book without a HEA. There might be a few twists and turns, a cliffhanger or two. But ultimately my stories will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy inside. For me, reading is entertainment, a way to escape this crazy insane world. If a book leaves me feeling sad, mad or gut wrenched, it is not for me. There is enough gut-wrenching sadness in this world, I don't need to read about it too.

I started writing four years ago, and have no plans on stopping. So keep your eye on me because with the help of some amazing people and my wonderful fans, this girl is going to be on the New York Times bestselling list someday.



Rafflecopter Share link:


B&E main avi tag.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review for Amie <3
    ~Donna
    Hot Tree Promotions

    ReplyDelete