Monday, October 5, 2015

Barb's Review... The Bane Chronicles

The Bane Chronicles
Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices can get to know warlock Magnus Bane like never before in this collection of New York Times bestselling tales, in print for the first time with an exclusive new story and illustrated material.

This collection of eleven short stories illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality, flamboyant style, and sharp wit populate the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices.

Originally released one-by-one as e-only short stories by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, and Sarah Rees Brennan, this compilation presents all ten together in print for the first time and includes a never-before-seen eleventh tale, as well as new illustrated material.




Buy Links:
Amazon  US : AU : CA : UK
Audible US : AU
_________________________________________________

the bane chronicles.jpg

This book has been on my list for a long time. Emmy got me the book for my birthday (almost a year ago.. sheesh) and I hate to break spines of hardbacks.. so I tried waiting. I read a few pages and then it was like duh dummy, audiobooks! So here we are. My book still in perfect shape and me all giddy as the life of Magnis Bane comes to life. He’s had a rather colorful existence. Lucky bastard. So there are a lot of little stories in this collection. I have included a spotlight of my favorites. I loved them all but the first few shined the best for me. I do love a naughty Magnis.


What really happened in Peru... - Cassandra Clare & Sara Rees Brennan
This story made me lol a lot. I've always loved Magnis, and now to see him way before we met him in The Mortal Instruments is an epic way to start the day. I knew Magnis was a cheeky bastard but OhMyStars! I had no idea just how cheeky. We get to see him on his adventures in Peru with a couple of familiar names. Ragnar Fell especially made me lol as well. He's the mean green side kick to Magnis through most of his adventures. From the late 1700's to the early 1800's Magnis is a mess of adventure, secrets and a whole lot of trouble!


The Runaway Queen - Cassandra Clare & Maureen Johnson
Magnis Bane is a man of many travels. As he works his time out in Paris, you get to see him take on his newest adventure. Seems vampires like Paris. Makes sense they can sort of just dissolve into the 'normalcy' of everyone else. Magnis was not a fan of vampires, well at least not the Persian vampires of Paris. As planned and agreed upon Magnis is to help the king and queen escape their compound. As the night wears on the task at hand, though it has many road bumps, a vampire encounter and an unexpected swim, goes somewhat as planned. The king and queen are out and trying to make their way from Paris. Magnis though.... Well he is on the sh**list now with the vampires and has to hightail it out of Paris. Not that he is happy about that but it is what needs to happen.


Vampires, Scones and Edmund Herondale - Cassandra Clare & Sara Rees Brennan
In the late 1800’s Magnis returned to London. He and other downworlders are meeting with the Nephilim in ways to make a treaty. This is where he and Camille (vampire) flirt atrociously before the Nephilim. He loved to make them a little antsy. This is where he meets Edmond Harendale. He gets to know him and is witness to Edmond slaying a demon to save Lynette and her maiden woman in the city street. The shadowhunter, Edmond, becomes entangled in the ladies snares and they are to be married. But.. she is no shadowhunter. Edmond is wanting her and he must give up his duty as a shadowhunter in order to have her. If Edmond had to choose sacrificing his life everyday or Lynette's he would sacrifice his every time. This breaks Magnus it seems. But as things go along he must carry on with his job there. Even going so far as to ignore the pains and screams of the shadowhunter he once knew being stripped of his marks so he can go be with his woman.



So what can you say about a book with extra stories from a great series? It was an awesome listen/read. I mean, if I'm honest Magnis is one of my favorite characters from The Mortal Instruments series. Seriously who doesn't love an eccentric, flamboyant warlock who has serious issues with authority.

The way each story shows you more and more of Magnis and some of the other characters that pop up throughout TMI. But as the characters go, again, Magnis is the man. Cat eyes and all he is just the man. The troubles that he gets into... (Laughs) it's a good thing is a fast thinker. Light on his feet and good at his magics because otherwise his goose woulda been cooked many, many moons ago in Peru. What’s happened to him? Sheesh, what hasn't the man done. He's pissed off Natives, Witches, Warlocks, Shadow Hunters, and Vampires. I'm sure there might be a few people that he's not pissed off but they're few and far between.

The warlock, the man is like Pandora's box. You open the lid and you never know what you're going to get. It could be good, bad and in between. He was a hard man not to fall for. It seems that trouble should be his name.

But all good trouble comes with a dose of crazy from Magnis.
_________________________________________________

150038.jpg
Cassandra Clare was born to American parents in Teheran, Iran and spent much of her childhood travelling the world with her family, including one trek through the Himalayas as a toddler where she spent a month living in her father’s backpack. She lived in France, England and Switzerland before she was ten years old.

Since her family moved around so much she found familiarity in books and went everywhere with a book under her arm. She spent her high school years in Los Angeles where she used to write stories to amuse her classmates, including an epic novel called “The Beautiful Cassandra” based on a Jane Austen short story of the same name (and  which later inspired her current pen name).

After college, Cassie lived in Los Angeles and New York where she worked at various entertainment magazines and even some rather suspect tabloids where she reported on Brad and Angelina’s world travels and Britney Spears’ wardrobe malfunctions. She started working on her YA novel, City of Bones, in 2004, inspired by the urban landscape of Manhattan, her favourite city. She turned to writing fantasy fiction full time in 2006 and hopes never to have to write about Paris Hilton again.

Cassie’s first professional writing sale was a short story called “The Girl’s Guide to Defeating the Dark Lord” in a Baen anthology of humor fantasy. Cassie hates working at home alone because she always gets distracted by reality TV shows and the antics of her two cats, so she usually sets out to write in local coffee shops and restaurants. She likes to work in the company of her friends, who see that she sticks to her deadlines.

City of Bones was her first novel.



836009.jpg
Sarah Rees Brennan was born and raised in Ireland by the sea, where her teachers valiantly tried to make her fluent in Irish (she wants you to know it’s not called Gaelic) but she chose to read books under her desk in class instead. The books most often found under her desk were Jane Austen, Margaret Mahy, Anthony Trollope, Robin McKinley and Diana Wynne Jones, and she still loves them all today.

After college she lived briefly in New York and somehow survived in spite of her habit of hitching lifts in fire engines. She began working on The Demon’s Lexicon while doing a Creative Writing MA and library work in Surrey, England. Since then she has returned to Ireland to write and use as a home base for future adventures. Her Irish is still woeful, but she feels the books under the desk were worth it.

Sarah’s latest series is the Lynburn Legacy, beginning with UNSPOKEN, a romantic Gothic mystery about a girl named Kami Glass, who discovers her imaginary friend is a real guy, and one of the mysterious Lynburn family who have returned to the sinister manor on the hill that looms over her town, and who may or may not be involved in dark deeds in the woods. It’s lucky that she’s a sassy girl reporter determined to discover all the secrets that have been kept from her by the town, Jared, and her own family. The trilogy concluded with UNMADE. Buy Unspoken through Random House,  Amazon or Barnes & Noble.



10317.jpg
I was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Many people claim this, but in my case it is true. I was born in a hospital that no longer exists! Well, it exists, but in a different building. They tore down the building I was born in and now it is just a smoldering hole in the ground! (Or a Subway or something. I don't know. I don't just hang around where I was born. I was born and I just got on with it! I never looked back! I URGE YOU TO DO THE SAME.)

I was an only child, which means that I know how to play Candyland by myself. I was always one of those reading and writing kids. After a little dalliance with astronomy (I had a glow in the dark star chart) and archaeology (I had a little shovel), I declared my intention to become a writer at the age of eight or nine or so. "I shall be a writer," I said. "And I will develop no other skills to ensure I have no back up plan!"

Even though I am not Catholic, I attended an all-girl Catholic prep high school. This is the kind of thing that passes for a joke in my family. Don't ever get me started on this subject, as I will go on forever about it. I regret having mentioned it. Let's skip ahead in time.

I graduated from the University of Delaware, home of the Fighting Blue Hens. I was a writing major, but I spent most of my time working on shows. After college, I became the literary manager of a wonderful (but now defunct) Philadelphia theater company. Soon after that, I moved to New York to study theatrical dramaturgy and writing at Columbia University School of the Arts. As a graduate student, I held at least a dozen different jobs to pay my way through school. These included: working in a haunted house theme restaurant, being a fake employee for a company to make it look like more people worked there than actually did, and working on a show in Las Vegas that had live tigers and malfunctioning smoke machines in the same enclosed area. I was also an editor.

I spend most of my time writing books. You can find out more about those books by clicking on the BOOKS link above.

What else? Well, in 2012, I was crowned QUEEN OF TEEN in the UK. I have a crown and everything. I reigned until 2014. That’s pretty good. In addition to writing books, I was also a scriptwriter for the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Handheld videogames. Also, I am the chair of the Lit Track of GeekyCon.

In theory, I live in New York City, but REALLY, I live on Twitter. I win awards for how much time I spend on Twitter.  I also like Tumblr a lot. And I like you.

In what remains of my free time, I intern at NightVale Radio.


Barb Avi (2).jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment